Building Frame Deck & Keel
Once you have all the materials to hand and a suitable area for construction (It needs to be dry and have power for lighting and heating) you can start.

The first task is to construct a building frame. I used cheap and cheerful chipboard for this. Follow the plan for the frame as accurately as possible and make sure it is soundly constructed. This is the base on which your boat is constructed so any inaccuracies here will affect the finished item. One change I needed to make to the plan was the bow section of the frame should follow the shape of the bow. The plan calls for a square section frame this caused me a problem when I came to fitting the ply skin to the hull, as I will explain later.

Once the building frame is complete it is time to start building the hull. The first thing to do is cut out the deck sheets from 12mm ply. ( The hull is constructed upside down) The most difficult part is the bow curve. I followed the dimensions from the plan and used a thin batten to ‘join the dots’ and produce an even curve. I then carefully cut out the sheets using an electric jigsaw.

I laid the sheets on the building frame with the joints over a thin strip of plastic bin bag so that when they were glued together excess glue would not stick them to the building frame. I then cut out the narrow strengthening strips from more 12mm ply. I used this to hold the deck sheets together while the resin was setting. I screwed and glued the whole assembly together on the building frame using the epoxy resin and silica powder to thicken it.


While the deck assembly was setting I started on the keel. The plan called for 6mm-ply and pine batten to produce a box section. First I cut the sheet to shape then glued and screwed the batten to the sheet. I cut the batten into short lengths so that I could form the bow curve. I did not bend the batten. I then screwed and glued the other side sheets to the batten. This formed an open box section the shape of the keel.

The batten used for the base of the keel I screwed and glued to the deck assembly. I then filled the keel with expanded polystyrene making sure not to go to the edge of the sheet so that the keel assembly would fit over the keel base batten already fixed to the deck.

Using plenty of glue and screws I fixed the keel box section over the base battens. I then left the whole assembly to set hard. While this was setting I made the lower transom sections from 12mm ply and glued them into place against the deck and the keel.

Fitting & Shaping the Polystyrene Core