Chines & Hull Fibre Glassing
The next task was to make the chines. For this I split a batten at an angle using an electric saw. Each half then became part of a chine. Once they were all cut to size I screwed and glued them into place. The size of my chines was limited to the largest depth of cut I could get on my saw. They came out at about 70mm. The recommended size is 100mm the difference being how fast and easy the hull goes ‘on the plane’

I filleted the joints between the chines and the hull to make a nice smooth transition and then sanded the whole assembly down again. (I hate sanding!) Make sure you use a dust mask when sanding because epoxy and wood dust will not do you any good.

The next thing I did was to cut the transom outer section to shape. I used 12mm ply and glued and screwed it to the inner transom section on the hull. The plan calls for two 18mm sections one thickness on the hull section and double thickness above the deck. I had two 12mm sections on the hull and a single 12mm section above the deck.

Now was the time to cover the whole hull with epoxy and fiberglass mat. At this stage I suddenly realised that I did not have a bow winch eye. As I could not get to the inside of the hull to bolt one on I bolted the eye to a piece of hard wood. I left the threads long and drilled large holes on the keel batten to accept the threads. I then mixed a quantity of epoxy paste filled the holes with it and screwed the hard wood and winch eye into place. I then bedded the hard wood down with plenty of epoxy and used the remainder of the mix to filet the whole thing to the hull.

I had some kevelar which I had purchased for a project several years before and never used. I thought it would be a good idea to use this on the hull around the winch eye and on the keel (Make it good and strong if it is beached). A mistake! Once it was epoxied into place I found it very difficult to sand smooth. It is almost impossible to do anything with it! (I suppose that is why they make bulletproof vests of it)

Once I had done what I could with the kevlar I covered the whole hull with fiberglass mat. This I obtained from the epoxy resin supplier. Do not be tempted to use mat intended for polyester resin. The glue used to hold it together is compatible with Polyester resin, not epoxy.